Thursday, May 20, 2010

Distant Relatives (Mini) Review


Distant Relatives is the product of the collaboration between NY MC Nas and youngest son of Bob Marley, Damian Marley. Obviously, it's a combination of reggae and hip-hop. There isn't much to say about it other than that it's good. It's pretty much exactly what I expected. Nas is Nas. He's still one of the most talented rappers in the business and he brings those talents to every track. You can't really understand Damian Marley all the time but his influence is obvious and that's all I really expected.

The album uses elements of music from Africa, Jamaica, and the US to tell a story of unity throughout the world. The title, Distant Relatives, even alludes to the concept that we all share ancestry in Africa and that's really what the album is talking about. It's not the greatest sound I've ever heard but I think Nas and Marley succeeded in what they attempting to accomplish and it's definitely a good listen. Mini reviews don't get ratings so that's all. Chyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment