Love Always Shines Everytime, Remember 2 Smile. That’s what LASERS means. It’s a backronym because Lupe thought of the title first and then gave it meaning. Sadly I can’t tell you what that has to do with this album. Honestly, I can barely tell you what the title, sans the acronym, has to do with the contents of the CD. According to Lupe he’s shining light on things we don’t normally look at. I get that but I can’t help but think this vision would have been 100 times better had this actually been a Lupe Fiasco album. Lasers is an Atlantic Records album featuring Lupe Fiasco. Imagine The Adventures of Bobby Ray but with an edge. It’s that edge that makes it listenable. That edge is Lupe and his brilliant skills as an emcee. If you listen to Lasers, listen once, and listen to Lupe.
I recommend listening to this album because Lupe Fiasco really is one of the most talented lyricists in the “mainstream” right now. If you heard Food & Liquor or The Cool you won’t be able to stay away from Lasers because by now you’re foaming at the mouth in anticipation for a new full-sized project from Lupe. There was a lot of controversy surrounding this release. First of all, it was supposed to be Lupe’s final album. Back when that was the plan it was going to be called LupE.N.D. Due to contract problems, Lupe had to postpone is farewall record. That wouldn’t have been a problem if Lasers wasn’t the first release that he was forced to put out. Here at Chyeah! we try not to complain but I can’t help but be disappointed in Lasers. Actually, I don’t want to get too negative so I’ll just skip to the good parts and wrap this up. Lasers is a feel good rap album. Lupe is trying to inspire confidence and happiness with his lyrics. He manages to do this and talk about the problems with the world without sugar coating the issues for us. He’s always been good for that and Lasers is no different. I wouldn’t recommend Lasers for hardcore hip-hop fans or people with more obscure musical tastes. If you want a casual, decent rap album to listen to that’s not nearly as terrible as radio rap, you should give Lasers a listen. I suggest previewing before you purchase it though.
Ideally, Lupe will become part of G.O.O.D. Music or N.E.R.D. and his next album will be spectacular. The rating is going in the books as 4 Fantastic Mr. Star Fox characters. Chyeah!


No comments:
Post a Comment