Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will


I haven't done one of these in a while so I'm going to do 3 within the next few days. I might even throw in a movie review if you're lucky. This first album review is of Mogwai's newest, entitled Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. In case you're unaware, Mogwai is a post-rock band from Glasgow. They've been on the scene since 1997 when they released their debut album, Mogwai Young Team. They're not so young anymore but they're still cranking out solid tunes that will let even the most unexperienced listener know what post-rock is all about.

The album begins with "White Noise." If the sun listened to music, he'd probably wake up to this track. It builds from start to finish. It doesn't start to live up to its title until near the end at the biggest moment. After the dust settles, "Mexican Gran Prix" starts. It totally sounds like something that I'd expect to hear on the Gran Turismo soundtrack. It feels so much like racing music I might just add it myself. "Rano Pano" follows with a much dirtier sound. Nothing groundbreaking occurs in these tracks but you can tell Mogwai is just having fun making music. Then "Death Rays" begins and it sounds like exactly what you expect from Mogwai. Basically, this song validates the purchase of HxcWND up to this point. After taking us here and there with the next couple of tracks, Mogwai drops us in the middle of what sounds like an M83 song in "George Square Thatcher Death Party." It's different for them (as far as I've heard) but they make it work. The album doesn't really go anywhere from there. There are three more tracks but honestly they're nothing to speak of. If this is your first time with post-rock they're fine but with such other fantastic bands out there as well as Mogwai's old work to compare it to, I'm unimpressed.

It's difficult not to judge this album based on how it compares to Young Team so I'm not even going to try. After all, it's the same band so growth is something that isn't outrageous to expect. HxcWND doesn't match the ambition of Mogwai's older work. None of the tracks really separate themselves as must-hear music. All that being said, decent Mogwai is better than a lot of other bands at their best. Not everyone can appreciate this genre so when I recommend this album, I'm recommending it for people who can see themselves being into music with little-to-no lyrics and long sections of soft rhythms with grandiose crescendos thrown in for flavor. I'm giving this album a score of All of the Lights. (The picture is of Glasgow.) Chyeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment