Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Uncharted 2 Review

If you want the truth, I completely forgot to review this game. I beat it like a week ago. Maybe I subconsciously assumed that everyone already knew this game was the shit and it didn't really needed to be stated. However, I'm bored so I'm gonna go ahead and write a quick review. Enjoy.


"Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" is a PS3 sequel to the original hit "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune"that came out in 2007. It's developed by Naughty Dog, a company who has made themselves famous by creating games that show the full potential of whatever Sony console they're working on. While the first Uncharted was a great game, Uncharted 2 improves in just about every aspect. It has been called the best PS3 exclusive so far and it's easily my favorite game of last year.

Uncharted 2 begins with Drake bleeding on a busted up train that happens to be hanging off a cliff. After he climbs his way out, we're taken to where the adventure starts. An old friend of Nate's named Harry Flynn employs him to find an oil lamp for Flynn's boss. With some inspiration from former flame Chloe Frazer, Nate (and Sully of course) join in on the mission. After a bit of betrayal, a lot of confusion, and an eventual meeting of an old friend, there is a completely different objective. In traditional treasure hunting style, Drake and friends are working to beat the bad guy to the finish line to keep (insert artifact here) from falling into the wrong hands. Okay, so it's not the most original plot in the world but when you're playing through, that couldn't matter less. So much of this game is discovery and awe that there's no time to really think about what you're doing. I imagine that if I had to stop some ruthless killer from gaining unthinkable power, I wouldn't really be thinking about cliché it all was. You could say that in that sense, this game is realistic. Seriously, you could say this game is realistic in just about every sense. The character relationships are so true to life. Sometimes I found myself thinking that they were never serious enough since there is an almost constant chatter between Drake and whoever he's exploring with. Now that I think about it, that just helps his reputation of being someone who doesn't take anything seriously. The character realism is aided by the great character models and voice acting. Like that commercial says, Uncharted 2 really is like a movie. Like any good movie, all of the important characters are appropriately detailed as far as motive and goals go. I rarely feel as immersed in a story as I did while playing Uncharted 2.


Speaking of details, there are more present in this game than anyone really needs to be satisfied. Everywhere you travel is beautifully rendered and intricate. On stages that are more about puzzle solving than bad guy shooting, it's nice to look around at the scenery. When things aren't so calm, enemies are found on multiple levels of battle so you still have to do your share of looking around. It's fun climbing and leaping around trying to get rid of everyone. I found that there was a good balance between killing and solving. By good balance, I mean that the scale tilts a little onto the killing side. No matter what you're doing, the gameplay is solid. Some of the climbing parts are a little too easy because the game shows you what you have to do but that's contrasted by your freedom to do battle just about any way you want. Like the first Uncharted, some of the weaker enemies are too hard to get down. However, headshots and grenades are more effective this time around so I can't complain. It's also pretty awesome to take out enemies with stealth. Some of the enemies in this game really get your blood pumping. I won't talk to much about them but I have to say, the final boss was a little disappointing. Besides that, I can't think up another aspect to be disappointed about. I've heard people complain about the soundtrack not being as good as the original but I downloaded it and I have no idea what the problem is. It seems like it's generally slower but within the context of the game you might notice that slow music is playing while you fight. I've always been a fan of this type of emotional contrast so I can't really sympathize with the haters on that one. Another complaint I've heard is that the competitive mode isn't great. I haven't touched it yet so I can't say. I have Modern Warfare 2 sitting next to me and I have no desire to play that online either so my opinion would have met next to nothing anyway. The co-op, however, is incredible. My brother and I played it and I had fuckets of bun. I just wish it were split-screen so my roommate and I could play when I get back to school. I can't explain it but the developers mastered making teamwork a necessity without having special teamwork functions in the game. Even without that, Uncharted 2 is worth the $60 just for being one of the best campaign experiences I've ever had.


I don't know what else to say. Uncharted 2 is my second favorite PS3 game to date behind none other than Metal Gear Solid 4. That might change once God of War III comes out but that's yet to be seen. I can say that I wouldn't recommend MGS or GoW to everyone, but Uncharted is something I think anyone could enjoy. It's the best treasure hunt adventure of all time! Fuck yo shit Indian Jones fans. Uncharted 2 gets 2 Ballin' ass cufflinks. Chyeah! Ch-ch-Chyeah!



No comments:

Post a Comment