
First off, it's nice to be back here with something to write about. I have been on what you could call a hiatus for the last couple of months. I basically didn't have a damn thing to write about. So here is something. Recently, nay more than a few hours ago from when I'm writing this, I saw the Book of Eli. Now, I wasn't sure about this film at first. I saw the previews and it looked interesting, but it also looked like it could be awful. My first thought was, "Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman together in a film? Sweet!" That was really my only basis for having an interest. Then I saw a short segment of the making of the film on HBO. As I learned more of the plot I became genuinely interested.
I won't say much in terms of plot because it would do the film a great disservice. Basically Eli (Denzel Washington) has a book that Carnegie (Gary Oldman) wants. Carnegie is the head of a small town in the middle of a post-apocalyptic United States and he controls everything and everyone in it. He has a woman whom could be referred to as his wife but really she's more like a slave. She also has a daughter who works for Carnegie as a prostitute and an employee of the bar that he owns. Her name is Solara and she is played, quite well in my opinion, by Mila Kunis. Most people know her from That 70's Show or as "Meg" on Family Guy. Anyway, Eli spends most of his time walking a path to the west for no one really knows what. He happens to pass through Carnegie's town on his journey and, thus, you have your conflict. Eli is only interested in passing through, but Carnegie is interested in possessing something that Eli has. A book. The rest of the film needs to just be seen and experienced.
One thing that caught my attention during this film was Mila Kunis. As I said, most people know her as "Meg." In fact, Turbo even thought the phrase "Shut up, Meg" while she was onscreen. However, this film proved to me that Mila Kunis can be a serious actress. Let's face it, she was in several scenes with Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman; two actors who really embody CHYEAH. She did a very admirable job of keeping up with them and didn't seem intimidated at all. Finally, if anyone is still having reservations about this film, let me just remind you that Gary Oldman is playing the villain. If that doesn't motivate you to see it, then I don't know what you think movies are for. Every film that Gary Oldman has been a villain in has been pretty good. Not to mention that it's Gary fucking Oldman. So go see it. It really is worth at least one viewing. And if you don't feel as though you got your money's worth, you could always sneek into Avatar. I rate this film 12 stacked Bibles.
Last time you reviewed a movie I didn't see it until it was out on Blu-ray. I pray that doesn't happen this time.
ReplyDeleteDude, that's your fault. Go see this film. CHYEAH!
ReplyDelete