
I've been excited about quite a few movies this year. One after another, big budget action films have been released that have left us in awe. A few of us have been disappointed. In about a month a movie will be released the likes of which we have never seen before (this year). This film is District 9. I'm not saying that this will be the movie of the year but it differs from everything else I've been hyped for so far for the simple fact that before the first trailer, I knew nothing about it.

Allow me to explain. Watchmen, Wolverine, Terminator, Transformers, and Public Enemies were some of my most anticipated flicks in 2009. All of these movies have some kind of source material whether it be previous movies, some kind of reading, or real life events. District 9 is fresh. It's new. It's interesting. The makers have managed to add to the mysterious hype with a unique advertising campaign. On several bus stops, benches, and billboards you may find warnings about avoiding "Non-humans." In addition they have a viral advertising campaign to get across the same type of message. Some of the commercials are even more like public service announcements to warn of the alien menace. I enjoy these kinds of things. They express a genuine feel of concern coming from the distributor to get the consumer involved and interested in the project. It says to me that they're not just looking to throw something out there. I've posted some examples below of a real life advertisement and a viral ad.

I'm not saying this movie is going to be amazing yet. I'm not too big of a Peter Jackson fan but I know his name at least means that standards will be met. If you weren't aware, he's not actually directing it. Neill Blomkamp is the director. If you know who he is then you're probably related to him because he's basically a nobody from what I can tell. This could very well be his big break though so I'm not knocking him. I've just never heard of him and when I'm this excited for a film I'd like a little reassurance. Either way I'll be seeing this for its originality and ability to stir intrigue alone. Also, I dig alien movies so that's a plus. The most recent theatrical trailer is below. Check it out and Chyeah with me at the release on August 14th. Chyeah!
No comments:
Post a Comment