Turbo and I have been planning on doing this for quite some time. We've inadvertently put it aside until today. Honestly, we need more blogs this month so I've decided this needs to be one. This list is of 5 great producers in the music industry. It was, for the most part, easy to compile. What wasn't easy was the order and who to cut. There was really no criteria other than that the person had to be known as a producer. A few of people on the list are artists as well but they either produce their own stuff or are better known for their production. To tell you the truth, I don't know how we decided who didn't make the cut since we made the list so long ago. That being said, you might not agree. As a matter of fact, you probably won't. However, this is Chyeah! and we don't give a fuck!
#5. Dr. Dre

What's brown and rhymes with Snoop? This guy. Dr. Dre is easily the biggest West Coast Rap producer of all time. He's worked with the likes of 2Pac, Eminem, and the aforementioned Snoop Dogg. His debut, self-produced, album "The Chronic" is praised as one of the greatest Hip-Hop albums of all time. He also coined the phrase "Deeez Nuuutz!" Just sayin'.
#4. Dan the Automator

When you've worked with the likes of Mike Patton, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and Gorillaz, how could you not make the list. Dan is one smooth mother fucker, just listen to Lovage. I guess you could describe his beats as laid back. He's just so... cool. Deltron 3030 is one of my favorite hip-hop groups and it's largely due to Dan's mad producin' skills. Look out for his and Mike Patton's new project Crudo, it's sure to be awesome.
#3. Kanye West
#3. Kanye West

Rod-man here, and for the record, this is my number one. Say what you will about Kanye West but anyone who appreciates Hip-Hop can't help but recognize his talent. Kanye has been producing for major artists since 1996. He's since grown into a giant in the rap and r&b industry. John Legend, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Common, Janet Jackson, and so many more owe some of their best songs to his production. Kanye is also known for his unique, while criticized, style known as the Soul Sample. I often here about how terrible it is that rappers sample old R&B songs but Kanye is a lover of all music. He pulls from every genre from electronic to rock and, of course, classic soul. He also has his own record label by the name of GOOD Music, and that's exactly what he creates.
#2. Rick Rubin

This man is a legend. There's no possible way I can say enough about what he's done for the music industry. He co-founded Def Jam Records and went on to create his own record company, American Recordings. The list of artists he's worked with is ridiculously extensive. The Beastie Boys, Run D.M.C., AC/DC, Linkin Park, Weezer, Jay-Z, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the list goes on and on. If you're not convinced as to why Rubin is on this list, just look him up. My personal favorite album of his is Licensed to Ill with the Beastie Boys but I'm sure he's got so much more amazing shit out there that I've yet to experience. He's just that damn good.
#1. J Dilla

The master of samples. God damn this man was the shit. Just listen to Donuts and you'll nahmean. He pretty much produced the whole thing while on his death bed. Some of the tracks are just straight up beautiful. He can make entire pieces of music with just samples and make it sound like something completely different. Even after his death he's a huge influence on hip-hop. To this day, people still make music using his beats. It just sucks that he had to go. Probably one of the most important dead people in music. Words can't do him justice. Listen to that shit, yo.
So that's it for this list. As always, we hope you enjoyed it. If not, tell us why in the comment section. Oh, I wanted to do some honorable mentions. The Neptunes, Timbaland, all the old white people I've never heard of, you know. They deserve to be here as well but tough shit. A'ight. 'Til next time. Chyeah! Ch-ch-Chyeah!
So that's it for this list. As always, we hope you enjoyed it. If not, tell us why in the comment section. Oh, I wanted to do some honorable mentions. The Neptunes, Timbaland, all the old white people I've never heard of, you know. They deserve to be here as well but tough shit. A'ight. 'Til next time. Chyeah! Ch-ch-Chyeah!
I meant to put a "R.I.P to J Dilla" in there somewhere but I forgot and this is easier. So, uh... R.I.P. J Dilla.
ReplyDeleteHaha I like the nod to AC/DC in the Rick Rubin spot. However, if you want a really great rock producer, look no further than Mutt Lange. And you guys forgot Quincey Jones! He produced Thriller for God's sake. Highest selling album in music history. Oh and did I mention that Back In Black is number 2? Haha interesting list though.
ReplyDeleteI took a look at this Mutt Lange character. He produced a Nickelback album, this automatically makes him a terrible person.
ReplyDeleteI did think about Quincy Jones and some others but we basically created this list based on musicians we listen to. That's what Chyeah is about, not having to make completely comprehensive lists or being unbiased. Nahmean? We don't give a fuck.
ReplyDelete