Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Can the Coens NOT Make a Good Film? : True Grit Review


Last night/this morning I, Turbo, Rod-Man, and older version of Rod-Man saw the new Coen brothers film "True Grit". Ever since I heard about this film, I've been anticipating its release. In my book, the Coens can do no wrong. I haven't seen all of their films but of the ones I have seen, I've enjoyed them. "Fargo" and "No Country for Old Men" were great thrillers and "Burn After Reading" and "The Big Lebowski" were amazing comedies. "True Grit" sort of falls in between those two distinctions. This film has some really strong comedic moments as well as drama and thrills. Above all else, it's a really good western.

I have not seen the original John Wayne version of this film but I did see its trailer. That film (made in 1969) seemed to be a bit more campy than the Coen's version. That is understandable, given the time. John Wayne won his first and only Oscar for his performance as U.S. Marshall Rueben "Rooster" Cogburn. Jeff Bridges plays that same character in this version, and I must say that this character of his might be my favorite. I loved his portrayal of "The Dude" in the Coen's 1998 film "The Big Lebowski" but somehow, he brings a powerful and awesome presence to this character. He combines drunkenness, coldness, authority, precision, and love and caring all at the same time. No mean feat.

The other actors in this film are great as well. Matt Damon has a good comedic role as the Texas Ranger "LaBoeuf" (pronounced constantly as "le beef"). LaBoeuf has been hunting a man named Tom Cheney, played by Josh Brolin, who is also responsible for killing the father of the main character Mattie Ross, played exceptionally well by the newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. According to Wikipedia, Steinfeld has already been nominated for dozens of film critics' awards for her performance, and she deserves them all. She plays Mattie Ross as a no-nonsense girl who has been raised in the old west, seen lots of things, and can ride with the best of men.

Will Jeff Bridges be nominated for another Best Actor Oscar? Probably. Will he win? Doubtful, seeing as he won last year, but who knows? Will the Coens' new film be nominated for best Picture? It should. God knows that films like Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist, and Burlesque have no business being on the ballot. However, the Coens had their big year in 2007 with No Country for Old Men so a Best Picture win is also doubtful. What isn't doubtful is that this is one of the best films of the year. I have never been the biggest fan of westerns, but this film has inspired me to be a bit more open minded. I can say that if the Coen brothers put their names on a film, I will go see it as should everyone. Go see True Grit. In fact, see it twice.

I rate this film 8 colt pistols

No comments:

Post a Comment