Thursday, April 7, 2011

Your Highness vs. Arthur

Two new comedies are being released tomorrow and I'm going to use this time to try to break them down so you can decide which to see. For some reason, I'm feelin' bullets so we'll bullet the pros and cons.

The first movie is Arthur. I'm sure you've seen the trailers by now and it's probably got your attention.


PROS:
  • Russell Brand is funny. His character seems mildly different than "Aldous Snow" but I'm sure it'll be close enough to keep this one enjoyable.
  • There seem to be some pretty cool references to Batman and Star Wars. The scene where he has the Batmobile is sure to entertain.
  • Helen Mirren is good, right? I have the idea in my head that she's in good movies. I could be wrong though.
CONS:
  • PG-13. Most of the great comedies in recent years have been R-rated. There's just more freedom to do crazy stuff.
  • Apparently the director is a first timer. That's not necessarily a bad thing but...
  • The reviews are pretty bad so far. Apparently it pails in comparison to the movie it is based off of. I didn't even know it was a remake but the first one is supposed to be better.
The other movie is Your Highness. Personally, I see this as being the movie with more promise.


PROS:
  • All-Star cast consisting of James Franco, Natalie Portman, Danny McBride, and Zooey Deschanel amongst others.
  • It's got that feel of a unique comedy that served The Hangover and Tropic Thunder so well.
  • This one is Rated-R so you can expect some more ridiculous events to occur.
CONS:
  • More bad reviews! It seems to be getting the reputation of being "stupid."
  • I can imagine a good possibility of the story causing this to fall flat on its face by being too cheesy and random.
In conclusion, I guess you should probably see whichever one you want. I would never do this, but it might be a good idea to buy one ticket and try to catch both since there seems to be a pretty good chance of disappointment with both. Of course, critics have been known to overreact. I've found it's not a bad idea to go into the theater expecting to be disappointed because the movie probably won't be as bad as you envision it to be. I just needed to get back into the swing of things with a post here on Chyeah! I've been ridiculously busy so I hadn't posted anything in a while. Thanks to TheKillerCliche to keeping us afloat. Chyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment