Last night Turbo, Rod-Man, and I went to see the film "127 Hours". I must say that this is one of the most powerful, engrossing, scary, and beautiful films I've ever seen. That's a lot of adjectives, but they're all appropriate.
This film is directed by Danny Boyle, who also directed the Academy Award-winning Slumdog Millionaire. This film is better. It's star, as most people know, is James Franco. Everyone was most likely introduced to him when he played Harry Osbourne in the Spiderman films. In this film, he really comes into his own as an actor, and I believe he should be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar. This is his "Cast Away" role. Excepting the prologue, involving his escapades with a couple of fellow female hikers, and a few flashbacks and hallucinations, Franco carries the vast majority of the 93 minute film. The film itself also deserves a Best Picture nod. I can honestly say that this film had me on every level, and it's a rare film that can do that.
Of course most people are aware that this is based on a true story. Hiker and general adventurer Aron Ralston went on a trip to a canyon in Utah to go climbing, and in the process, gets his arm trapped under a rock. That is what happens, yes, but not what this film is about. This film is about the struggle to survive, coming to terms with yourself as a person, and having the sheer willpower to do the unthinkable in order to live. You know why Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface aren't scary? Because they aren't real. The situations in those horror films will never happen in real life. This film scares on a totally different level. While not all of us are hikers and climbers, this could literally happen to anyone who attempts such a thing. While watching Franco struggle to free himself and, slowly over the course of several days, realize what must be done to survive, all I could think about was what I would do in that same situation. That, reader, is truly scary.
Everyone should see this film. This film will make you think about things you would never have otherwise thought of. I will say the scene where he finally does cut his arm off is graphic, but let's be honest, if you were in that same position, it wouldn't be any prettier. As a matter of fact, if it was me, I hope I would have the same resolve and levelheadedness of Aron Ralston. After all, he survived.
Rating: Nothing cute with this one; a well-deserved 4 Stars ****
No comments:
Post a Comment