Monday, September 28, 2009

Why am I not in Japan?

So as you gamers know, the Tokyo Game Show ended yesterday. I didn't go because it's in Tokyo and I'm stuck in Virginia. Luckily for me, the internet tells me about stuff that goes down in places I'm not. It's a pretty sweet perk, I have to say. Anyway TGS '09 wasn't really an event of announcements, or at least not ones I'm interested in. It was, however, an event of gameplay and trailers. Before I get to that, I want to introduce you all to the PS3 Slim Final Fantasy XIII edition.


Isn't it beautiful? 250GB hard drive, matching white Dualshock 3, and of course FFXIII. Pricing hasn't been officially announced for the states but I'm guessing around $450. This news actually broke before TGS thanks to our good friends at Siliconera.com. However, this 7 minute trailer for the game was released at the convention. I was under the impression that only MGS4 was aloud to have trailers this long but I guess I'm wrong. It has to happen every few years, I guess.

God of War III, Uncharted 2, and Heavy Rain all had trailers prepared for the eastern event but for me, Gran Turismo 5 stole the show. I won't be posting videos but there is good reason. They look boring. Gran Turismo has always looked boring and Gran Turismo 5 is no different. It does manage to be boring with the most photorealistic graphics I've ever seen in a video game, hands down. As a matter of fact, it's too realistic. It shows you just how boring racing really is. There is a reason people who play Madden watch football but people who play racing games don't watch racing. Racing is boring when it's not completely fictionalized. I'm not complaining though. In fact, I commend the Polyphony team for achieving such realism. There really aren't any realistic sim driving games anymore. They've all gone extreme and ridiculous. Speed has taken the space of skill. Now we must once again rely on our wits to win a race. If you're interested in footage check this link.

Other stuff from TGS '09 and the days before:

- News to me: Apparently humans can go Super Saiyan in Dragonball Online.
- Final Fantasy VIII on PSN in Japan. Expect it in the US eventually.
- The Wii is less expensive than it used to be. Now $200. I'm still broke.
- MGS: Peace Walker might just be fantastic. One of the best PSP games for sure.
Holiday gaming season has been kicked off with Halo 3: ODST. Hoping to review Uncharted 2 in the future and we might get some Wii reviews from Turbo. Maybe for New Super Mario Bros. Wii? We'll see. That's it for this one. Chyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment