First I'll start off with some of the less anticipated awards, but let's be honest: these are Oscars. To win one for anything is an achievement.
Best Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Visual Effects:

I really have no idea who will get these but I believe Inception should get all three since it probably won't win any others (Christopher Nolan was even snubbed for a Best Director nomination. Mad gay.)
Best Original Score:

Gotta give it to the Social Network on this one. I'm not sure it doesn't deserve it, although Inception is also nominated in this category.
Best Animated Feature:

I think it will go to Toy Story 3. I haven't seen either How to Train Your Dragon or The Illusionist, but I still think it'll go to Woody and Buzz.
Best Original Screenplay:

This is really a toss-up between The King's Speech and The Fighter, but I really think Inception deserves it. Nolan worked on it for ten years for Christ's sake.
Best Adapted Screenplay:

The Social Network will take this, along with many others I suspect. I'm fine with that. The only other movie that I think deserves it as much is True Grit.
Best Director:

If David Fincher doesn't win for The Social Network, I'll be shocked. Winner of the Critic's Choice and Golden Globe already, this should be a lock for him. I must say I'm a bit disturbed that Christopher Nolan didn't even receive a nomination in this category.
Ok, here come the big ones.
Best Supporting Actress:

This will no doubt go to Melissa Leo for her role in The Fighter. She also won the Critic's Choice Award and the Golden Globe so it would be stupid to think the Oscar isn't next. I personally would like to see it go to Hailee Steinfeld for her performance in True Grit.
Best Supporting Actor:

This will surely go to Christian Bale for The Fighter. If you ask me, this is a long time coming for Bale. He's one of the best actors working and totally deserves this.
Best Actress:

Natalie Portman has been racking up award after award since the film Black Swan came out and has never looked back. She has also won both the Critic's Choice and Golden Globe Awards and deserves the Oscar as well.
Best Actor:

The highly-coveted Best Actor award will go to Colin Firth for his exceptional work in The King's Speech. Firth is a veteran actor who has been in the Oscar running for years and come out empty-handed. This is his year.
Best Picture:

I'll be very surprised if The Social Network doesn't come away with this one. It's been pummeling it's way through the awards season and is the favorite for this award. My pick for Best Picture, however, would have to be The King's Speech. However, when The Social Network wins, it will not be ill-deserved.
The 83rd Annual Academy Awards airs Feb 27 on ABC at 8pm.
Honestly, I agree with all of this. Of course I'd have to say Franco for best actor because I haven't seen The King's Speech yet. However, it would be fantastic if Hailee Steinfeld won. If it's between her and Melissa Leo, she really deserves it.
ReplyDeleteBest Picture is really more of a "Picture of the Year" type of award. It's got to be significant, important, and all that other jazz. Even if The King's Speech is better, TSN is the right choice.