Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mid-Generation of Consoles

This year, Nintendo released their 3DS. They followed that up with the Wii U today in their E3 keynote. Sony also announced their PSVita. This is not a new console generation. Two of them are portables and one is somewhat of an HD redux. Between now and next year, these consoles will be showing us the future of gaming without dropping us directly into it just yet. I just wanted to take a second and talk about these new innovations.

Nintendo 3DS



This has been out for a little while now but apparently sales aren't going great. At least, not for a Nintendo console. I see that changing soon when the heavy hitters start coming out. Nintendo showed off Kid Icarus: Uprising and LoZ: Ocarina of Time 3D, both of which should be coming soon. OoT comes out next week actually. They've also got Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Star Fox 64 3D around the corner. That's just the 1st party games. Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Tekken will all make the 3DS a handheld worth having. People have been saying that $250 is steep but it doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. If you disagree, I'm sure the price will drop eventually and bundles will come out that make it more than worth it to grab this thing. I mean, this console is going to have Ocarina of Time AND Snake Eater. What else do you need to know?

PSVita




Some specs were released for this a while ago but now we've gotten a good look at the PSV thanks to the Sony conference last night. Touch screen, touch sensitive back, DUAL analog sticks, front & rear facing cameras, 3G & Wi-Fi, and other features make this both a game console and an all purpose gadget. Sony showed us that they're developing an Uncharted game just for the Vita and I'm sure it won't disappoint. It was also revealed that Street Fighter X Tekken will be on the Vita and feature Cole McGrath of Infamous 2 as a special character. I think people were expecting the Vita to cost $400 or something because there was a huge applause when Kazuo Hirai announced that the Wi-Fi only model would cost $249.99. If you want 3G, you'll have to cough up an extra 50 bucks and deal with AT&T's network. I assume we haven't seen everything the Vita can do yet and I'm excited to see how this grows and becomes an even more valuable piece of hardware in the future.

Wii U




Going into the Nintendo press conference today, I really had no idea what "Project Cafe" was going to be. They revealed it with its new, innovative controller. It's more conventional in that it has 2 shoulder buttons on each side of it, 2 analog sticks, and pretty standard face buttons. However, there's also a 6.2 inch screen in the middle of it. From what I could tell, this screen is pretty much magic. You can play games on it without using the TV at all or you can stop playing a game on tv to play it on the controller. It can also supplement the TV by having extra info or a totally different display. For example, if you're playing a golf game, you can put the controller on the floor with a display of the ball on it and knock it off with your original Wiimote. This is not a handheld console we're talking about though. The new Wii U is Nintendo's first HD console. It's power is in the range of the 360 & PS3 and apparently developers realize that because they're making some pretty big name titles for the WU. Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham City, and Ninja Gaiden 3 will all be featured on the console, and I assume with special functionality. It's supposed to be out in 2012 and the price is unannounced. Since Nintendo didn't talk about any Wii games besides Skyward Sword, I assume we'll start seeing trailers for the WU games later this year to get us excited. I'll start now by getting excited for the announced Super Smash Bros game.

I just wanted to take a little time to talk about these new "mid-gen" consoles. I'm excited to see how they do and what they'll mean for the next generation that we should expect to see in 4 or 5 years. That's it for now. Chyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment