Monday, October 18, 2010

"Were you aware of this?"


"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sym-Bionic_Titan"


A few hours ago Turbo asked me this. I clicked the link, started reading, then my eyes lit up. Why, you ask? They lit up because I read that this show, Sym-Bionic Titan, was created by none other than Genndy Tartaskovsky. If you're not a fan of Genndy's work, I sincerely hate you. he's one of the men primarily responsible for Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003), and most importantly Samurai Jack. Sym-Bionic Titan started on September 17th of this year on Cartoon Network. Intrigued, I decided to check my "On Demand" service to see if episodes were available. They were, and I have to say I was impressed. The animation is better than most modern cartoons and that's an instant plus. It stars a teen-aged guy and gal along with their robot companion. They crash-land on Earth while escaping their planet, Galaluna where a hostile takeover is going down.


The chick, Ilana, is a princess of Galaluna and is in danger of being killed by General Modula, enemy of her father, when the pilot starts. Lance is a member of her royal guard. He's kinda angsty but he's also pretty beast so it's forgiven. I might have forgotten to mention that they both have robotic, mech-like, super suits. Lance's is all pimped out with guns and whatnot. Ilana's has more defensive abilities. The robot, Octus, is the smart one. When he combines with Ilana's and Lance's mech suits, they form the giant Sym-Bionic Titan. I wasn't paying enough attention the get the whole "Heart, Body, and Mind" motif they have going on but it seems to play a big part in the explanation of everything. It's classic Genndy type stuff. I only watched the first 3 episodes but you can bet I'll be following this one, at least for a while. I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled before its 20 episodes are up. I mean, it's a month old and I'm just now hearing about it. That can't be a good sign.

I guess I just kinda did a television review. If you were born in the late 80s/early 90s and you want some nostalgia but with new storylines, watch Sym-Bionic Titan on Cartoon Network on Fridays. It's the 2nd best show on that channel right now. That's it, no real review score.

No comments:

Post a Comment