
I recently purchased the game inFAMOUS for Playstation 3 and I'm here to tell you that it's a must have if you're a PS3 owner.
Overview: Infamous is an open world action adventure game. It takes place in a New Yorkish city called Empire City. Just like any other open world game (GTA, Crackdown, etc.) you can go wherever you want in the city. Infamous distinguishes itself by making just about everything in the city available for jumping, running, and sometimes grinding on. Another element that sets Infamous apart is the Karma system which is surprisingly deep. More will be explained as we go.
Story: Play the game if you want to know the story. Very basically, Cole MacGrath gets powers of electricity from an explosion. No more ridiculous than anything Stan Lee has coughed up, right? I can say that it is interesting enough to keep you playing the main missions and not just the addictive side missions. The comic book cut scenes are fun to watch and they always mark important plot points. The storyline is wrapped in mystery. It strays from the norm while being as familiar as any other comic book super hero and just as twisted at times.
Gameplay: The controls are tight. Parkour is a major part and Sucker Punch was smart in letting the user go just about anywhere they could possibly want. Nothing is off limits (except water) and Empire City is huge so moving through the skyline with glides and grinds never gets boring. The devs also made a point of making Cole do what you want him to do. That means more perfect landings and less falling. The combat in Infamous is also a high point. The moves are effective in their own right, especially when upgraded with experience points. Killing an opponent with just about anything is rewarding. The melee could be deeper but it is sufficient for the short amount of time you'll be using it.
X Factor: Infamous has one element that really sets it apart and that's the Karma system. It affects Cole's powers, the citizens of the city, and the overall tone of the game. I do recommend walking on one side as opposed to staying neutral as the rewards are sweeter the more you commit to one side. That includes exclusive powers and upgrades to either side. Seriously, it's fun enough to just beat twice as both sides to experience everything.
Conclusion: inFAMOUS is an amazing game. I've played for hours already but I've only scratched the surface. There are blast shards and dead drops to collect. The city is huge so there's plenty to explore. Side missions keep you busy and sometimes distract you from the main story but they're not completely useless as they help clean up the city when completed. If you have a PS3 and you're considering inFAMOUS, stop it! Just go get it already. It's worth your time unless you hate fun. If you hate fun, please leave.
We rate inFAMOUS one Mountain Dew Voltage. Chyeah!
I would agree that this is an amazing title and deserves many kudos to its name yet I must bring myself to find what it is that could set this game apart from the almost identical Prototype? The release date was right around the same time and I have heard that it is the same game from numerous sources that have played it and Infamous. They both take place in "new york" with infamous merely going by the pseudonym of Empire city. Both characters have no recollection of how they got their powers and what happened before that. All in all I must say that I am somewhat disappointed that the gaming community has so few Ideas that they have to come out with the same game twice in one month. Nevertheless Infamous is a fantastic game, but let it not discourage you from going and getting prototype either. Chyeah out!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to play Prototype but it is my understanding that it's gameplay is much more brutal and visceral than Infamous. Destruction is the name of the game and it doesn't dive as deep into the new Super hero storyline. It also doesn't have the Karma system which it substitutes by having a multitude of powers to use. The basic idea is the same but they branch out significantly from one another.
ReplyDelete