
It's been awhile since I've posted here. Being one of the "original" contributors to this blog I would apologize for my absence except I've been having a life. I have a girlfriend (really cuts down on your blogging, trust me) a second job, and college. Anyway I'm back now and here's why.
Last night I, Turbo, the Messiah, and some others went to the 3-D talkin pictures and saw a little film called Jackass 3D. Now, I am a huge fan of film (as evidenced by the fact that most of my posts are film reviews) but not such a huge fan of 3-D film. Call me old fashioned but I like my movies in the standard two dimensions. Last night, however, my mind may have been changed...just a little.
First let me say that this movie is not for everyone. In fact, this movie is specifically intended not to be for everyone. Only those who have watched Jackass from the beginning and love it will um...appreciate this movie. Second, I'm aware that Jackass 3D currently holds 59% approval on Rotten Tomatoes and I have read the reviews of the people who didn't like it and they all share a common flaw. They were reviewing this "film" like a film. This movie is not anything like a "movie." Just like the two previous Jackass movies, it is more or less a long episode of Jackass with a bigger budget for bigger stunts. Taking all of this into consideration I would give Jackass 3D four stars. I believe it is the funniest of all the Jackass movies, the grossest, and the best. If you are a die hard Jackass fan, seeing this third installment will be like playing an old and beloved video game or putting on an old piece of clothing you once wore. It is actually really nice to see how far these guys have come. Let's face it, they've spent their entire adult life dedicated to kicking each other in the balls, eating shit, drinking piss, breaking bones, and losing teeth all for the sake of entertainment. Sure, they've all profited from it but the toll it will take on their bodies in the long term is going to be greater. So I salute these knuckle headed noblemen for putting their health, and often their lives, at risk for us. I would give this film four stars based on the fact that 1) it is true Jackass entertainment, 2) the film does exactly what it intends to do: make us laugh, grimace, and applaud all at the same time, and 3) the stunts that take place are some of the best I can remember. These guys really have to sit down and come up with this stuff, and while some of it is indeed gross (Steve-O airborne in a port-o-potty filled with dog shit comes to mind) or just plain ingenious (using a jet to throw all manner of objects at each other) it is all good old fashioned entertainment. Like the vaudevillians and slapstick comedians that came before them, the Jackass boys have taken comedy and sheer physical ability and endurance to a new level. After all, when were you ever gonna see the Three Stooges drink someones ass sweat?
I rate this film 6 glass dildos.
We all pretty much stopped. You're the only one with an actual good reason. I haven't seen the first two Jackass flicks. This one'll probably pass me by as well but good review anyway.
ReplyDelete