Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Social Network Review


Here it is, as promised. Yesterday Pslightly Psycho and I ventured out to the local cinema with high anticipation (and expectations) for our first viewing of The Social Network. I can say right off the bat that this is the best movie I've seen in theaters this year. I'm expecting it to be showered with awards and I'll be sorely disappointed if it gets snubbed. Based on the critical reception its getting, I doubt that'll be a problem. It's been praised by just about everyone who lays eyes on it and for good reason.


The Social Network begins with our main character, Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) in a bar talking to his girlfriend, Erica Albright (Rooney Mara). He's trying to brainstorm ways to be accepted in one of Harvard's exclusive "final clubs." We're shown through this conversation exactly what kind of person Mark is. He's somewhat cold and emotionless but his intentions don't seem to be in the wrong places. He talks as fast as he thinks so often he says whats on his mind immediately. This flaw causes his girlfriend to break up with him right then and there which catapults the plot forward. With the help of his best friend Eduardo Saverin's algorithm, he decides to compare Harvard girls to each other and let guys decide who's more attractive. The site gets over 22,000 hits over night and crashes Harvard's network. "Face Mash" draws the attention of three students attempting to build a website known as "Harvard Connection." Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss along with their business partner Divya Narendra enlist Mark to build the site for them. Mark agrees but before he ever gets started he has the idea for Facebook. He never builds "Harvard Connection" and instead starts "The Facebook." The events of the film are told almost entirely in flashback. In the time most closely resembling the present, Mark is being sued by the Winklevosses and Eduardo; by the Winklevosses for stealing their idea, and by Eduardo for cutting him out of the company. The plot is driven by questions being asked by lawyers in two separate depositions. I can't really explain why but this really worked for this film. It was cool to see the relationship of Mark and Eduardo collapse while at the same time watching the aftermath of the situation.


When I walked into the theater I wasn't expecting such an unlikeable protagonist. Mark is instantly portrayed as somewhat of a jerk and those without sympathy for this kind of person won't like him at all. I, personally, thought of him as a computer or something. Even when he said things that were downright offensive I took them as him using logic and once again talking as fast as he thought. Luckily for the audience, the film shifts to Eduardo's story as it is he who is recalling the events during the deposition. Eduardo is the heart of the film. He's the character you really care for and easily the one who struggles the most throughout the film. He and Mark both start on a high once The Facebook is underway. They agree to be co-founders of the site as Eduardo funds the work Mark does and the two are fortunate. Eduardo even finds a girlfriend in all of their popularity. As the site grows, they begin to stray farther from each other. They finally break when Sean Parker, creator of Napster, is introduced (played by Justin Timberlake). Mark and Sean share a lot of the same ideas and Eduardo is left out to dry.


The Social Network has everything you could want in a movie without most of the things Hollywood seems to think we need. No one dies, there are no car chases, and there are no psychological twists out of left field. It manages to be thrilling while remaining realistic. That might be do to the fact that it's based on a true story. Personally, I found it helpful to separate the film from the popular facebook website and watch it as a work of fiction. The movie manages not to be a 2-hour advertisement for the site so there's no point in making it one. The Social Network is more than solid in terms of writing, directing and acting. Sorkin, Fincher, and Eisenberg have all outdone themselves. My favorite performance came from Andrew Garfield's Eduardo. I can't wait to see him as Spider-Man as long as he gets a haircut. I've already been going on for too long. Watch the film if you truly want to understand why it's so fantastic. I can guarantee it's one of the best movies you'll see born entirely of our generation.

I'm giving "The Social Network" 2 Ignored Farmville requests. I hate that game.


1 comment:

  1. Honestly, The Social Network isn't a movie to be reviewed, it's a movie to be discussed.

    ReplyDelete