Monday, October 25, 2010

Runaway



I've never been so confused in my life. I just finished watching Kanye West's 35-minute film, "Runaway." I'll start out by saying it wasn't very good. Usually if something's not good we don't talk about it here on Chyeah! but this really isn't a review so I don't care. I just feel like writing about this.

Basically Griffin (Kanye) is driving and something comet-like falls from the sky and crashes in front of his car. He crashes, gets out, and noticed a bird-girl type creature. He carries it back to his house while his car explodes. Later we find out the girl is a phoenix. She's confused by our world. Griffin falls in love with her and takes her to a parade with fireworks, a marching band, and a giant paper mache Michael Jackson head. Afterward they go to a fancy dinner party. All of the other people there are appalled by Griffin's date. He performs a song (Runaway) and they all clap. Dinner gets served and in front of the phoenix they place a peacock. She screams and grows longer wings than she's had the whole movie. In the next shot she talks for the first movie. She claims statues are phoenixes that we cut the wings off of and that they turn to stone because they don't burn. It has something to do with us trying to change things that are different. After an odd love scene, Griffin wakes up on the roof of his apartment. The phoenix isn't there. He chases her but it's too late. She has regrown her full wings and is flying into the sky to burn. That's it.


Confusing, right? I know. On the bright side, it had a lot of Kanye's new music in it. There's a pretty cool Power mix that the phoenix dances to. In pretty much every scene there's a Kanye song playing. They usually don't fit the scene though. I couldn't help but have the feeling that the scenes would have worked better in a longer movie but it was just really choppy. Also, Kanye is an awful actor. He's a decent rapper and he runs really fast but he's an awful actor. Luckily, there's barely any dialogue. I don't remember him being so bad in "We Were Once a Fairytale" but that was less acting than this, I guess.

I think "Runaway" would have worked better without any video at all. As a 35-minute album, I'd really enjoy it. I'm posting the link because I feel like it. If you take nothing else from it, think of it as a "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" preview. If that doesn't sound good either, stay away. Haha, Chyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment